What you'll learn
- The concept and practice of community forestry in the Asia-Pacific
- The relationship between people and forests
- Models of community forestry
- Principles underlying community forestry and factors that make community forestry models successful
- Challenges to achieving the full potential of community forestry
About this program
The free e-course introduces community forestry as a pathway to solving the world’s greatest social and environmental challenges.
Countries around the world and in the Asia-Pacific region increasingly recognize the contribution community forestry makes to inspire climate change solutions and sustainable economic and social development. But what is community forestry? What forms does it take? Why do we need to involve local communities in forest management? What makes community forestry successful? What are the constraints to realizing the potential of community forestry?
Community forestry 101 will answer these questions and more. It focuses on the Asia-Pacific, but the concepts can be applied throughout the world. The journey through the course includes experiential and reflective activities based on real-life conditions. You will also have opportunities to share your ideas and collaborate with others.