About this program
This learning track on carbon finance targets economic actors (especially ecopreneurs), local project developers (incl. GLFx chapters and restoration stewards) and young professionals/students, and seeks to increase understanding on key carbon finance aspects, while highlighting the opportunities for local action.
The series of webinars gathers inputs from carbon finance experts, while also providing insights through real life case studies. The sessions are highly interactive, with freedom to ask questions throughout and working group activities to gain a deeper understanding of the material.
This program is organized in the framework of the Luxembourg-GLF Finance for Nature Platform and was launched during the platform’s Digital Forum on Sustainable Finance for Nature-based Solutions.
- Increase understanding for local stakeholders on key carbon finance concepts
- Highlight ways to generate carbon revenues in various land use project types and business models
- Specify the steps to monetize carbon benefits
Who is this program for?
This learning program on carbon finance targets business leaders and entrepreneurs (especially ecopreneurs), local project developers (incl. GLFx chapters and restoration stewards), young professionals, students and policy stakeholders, and seeks to increase their understanding on key carbon finance aspects while highlighting opportunities for local action. It also aims to showcase practical examples of business models around carbon finance.
MODULE 1 | aims to create an understanding among participants on carbon finance, and the opportunities it generates to finance nature-based solutions.
- Introduction to climate finance and carbon finance
- The concept of carbon credits, and their role for net-zero and carbon neutrality targets
- Voluntary and compliance carbon markets
- Land use project types and business models suitable for carbon credits
- Group exercise: conceptualising landscape projects generating carbon benefits
MODULE 2 | aims to create an understanding among participants on carbon accounting in landscape and sustainable land use projects and the different carbon accounting and certification options available.
- Organisations, mechanisms and international standards involved in voluntary and compliance markets
- How to account for carbon through various certification standards and schemes
- Group exercise: how to get carbon credits certified in a landscape project?
MODULE 3 | aims to create an understanding among participants on the carbon market generally, and specifically how to sell carbon credits on the market.
- Key marketplaces and exchanges for carbon credits
- The negotiation process in carbon markets
- The importance of benefit sharing schemes
- Group exercise: the processes of selling carbon credits generated by a landscape project
MODULE 4 | provides an opportunity for participants to ask any pending questions they still have to carbon experts.
- Carbon finance and carbon markets
- Getting carbon credits certified in landscape projects
- Selling carbon credits generated by landscape projects